How to create multiple data extracts for your Tableau workbook using the Data Blocks feature
Data Blocks is a great feature (available in the Advanced Mode only) that creates multiple data extracts for your Tableau workbook or dashboard.
The Cognetik Cloud Connector essentially mashes up multiple data extracts into one data extract, which simplifies the setup and management of these data extracts.
- Manage all of your Data Blocks (Extracts) from one screen.
- Retrieve data from all of your Data Blocks at once. Cognetik does the heavy lifting server-side.
- Reduce the amount of data extracts you publish to Tableau Server, which keeps your Tableau Admin happy.
- Minimize the amount of time it takes to refresh your data.
There are three new items:
1. Add Data Block Button.
- Quickly add a new data block.
- Add up to 10 Data Blocks within one data extract.
2. Data Block Name
- This field is auto-populated but you can change it to a more descriptive name.
3. Data Block Column Prefix
- When using multiple Data Blocks, you will need to easily distinguish between the columns.
- This field is auto-populated based on the data source, but you can remove it if you only have one Data Block or change it to a more descriptive value.
Below are a few screenshots on how the new feature works.
💡 You can apply segments at the Data Block level if the connector supports it.
💡 The date range and granularity options are common between all Data Blocks, any updates made here will be reflected in each Data Block.
💡 When the data is returned, you’ll see empty/null values in the columns where there is no corresponding row data.
💡 We recommend grouping your dimensions and metrics in Tableau to keep your data organized and easy to use.