Data Blocks is a great feature for those of you that need to create multiple data extracts for your Tableau workbook or dashboard.
The Cognetik Cloud Connector essentially mashes up multiple data extracts into one data extract, which simplifies the setup and management of these data extracts.
Here's a video of how to use the data blocks feature:
- Manage all of your Data Blocks (Extracts) from 1 screen
- Retrieve data from all of your Data Blocks at once - Cognetik does the heavy lifting server-side
- Reduce the amount of data extracts you publish to Tableau Server - keeping your Tableau Admin happy
- Minimize the amount of time it takes to refresh your data
Below are a few screenshots on how the new feature works:
There are 3 new items:
➊ Add Data Block Button
- Quickly add a new data block
- Add up to 10 Data Blocks within 1 data extract
➋ Data Block Name
- This field is auto-populated with “Data Block #” but you can change it to a more descriptive name.
➌ Data Block Column Prefix
- When using multiple Data Blocks, you will need the ability to easily distinguish between the columns.
- This field is auto-populated with “db#_” but you can remove it if you only have 1 Data Block or change it to a more descriptive value.
💡 You can apply segments at the Data Block level, if the connector supports it.
💡 The date range and granularity options are common between all Data Blocks, any updates made here will be reflected in each Data Block.
💡 When the data is returned, you’ll see empty/null values in the columns where there is no corresponding row data.
💡 We recommend grouping your dimensions and metrics in Tableau to keep your data organized and easy to use.